Confession time: How many pairs of shoes do you own? I haven’t counted mine yet, but I know it’s over 50. I have six pairs of tall black boots alone. So I know I’m not “normal.” Well, at least not according to a recent survey by Shopsmart Magazine.
Apparently, women in the USA own an average of 17 pairs of shoes and wear only three pair regularly. The woman in the poll said they buy an average of three pair a year and spend about $49 bucks on each pair. Two-thirds have never spent over $100 on a pair.
Here’s what else the survey said (my remarks are in parentheses):
- Half of women have more than 10 pairs of shoes (for me, multiply that by at least 6)
- 13% own more than 30 pairs of non-athletic shoes (yup)
- 28% feel shoes are an important part of their outfit and put a lot of thought into what they wear on their feet (yes!)
- 46% put no thought into their shoes (why not?!?)
- 17% grab the first pair they see (um, okay, but why?)
- 59% have gotten blisters from their shoes; 46% foot pain (yes and no, respectively)
- 35% have had an evening ruined by uncomfortable shoes (sadly, yes, due to the aforementioned blister)
- 24% have fallen because of their shoes (no, not yet, thankfully)
- 14% admit hiding at least one shoe purchase from their spouse or significant other (not me)
- 29% have bought shoes online (of course!)
The least I’ve paid for new shoes is $10 (ballet flats at Payless). I’ve purchased second-hand shoes for less ($9 for a never-before-worn pair of Naturalizer boots at Goodwill). I did splurge on a pair of Fluevog boots ($429), but recently scored a pair of Manolo Blahniks at a consignment shop for $129 (a $600+ value).
I have a lot of black on my shoe rack, but I recently acquired a pair of yellow shoes. I have green boots, and a few pair of red shoes. I have polka-dot heels, and gold sandals.
I used to take pride in an all-vegan shoe closet, but I’ve slipped up a few times and I have a few pairs of leather shoes. Most were thrifted though.
How do you compare? Have you ever styled an outfit around your shoes? Does wearing a great pair of shoes change the way you feel? What heel heights do you prefer? Do you fall back on black or go wild with color?
2 responses to “Shoes by the Numbers”
I could have written this post myself. You and I are sitting next to each other on the bus to “We Love Shoes Land”. I have to rotate my shoes by season because I can’t fit them all in my closet at one time. Who are those girls who don’t give any thought to their shoes?
I’m so happy to hear this! After I posted, a friend of mine told me she had only ten pairs of shoes. Nothing wrong with that except it made me look like a shoe horder! I’m in good company now 🙂